As I searched through cookie exchange recipes and saw numerous holiday baking recipes on Pinterest the truffles always caught my eye. During one of my Christmas shopping outings I picked up a package of Bailey’s Irish Cream Truffles at a TJMaxx because they sounded so divine. That package convinced me I needed to use some of my homemade Kahlua to whip up a batch of Kahlua Truffles. They ended up being rich, chocolaty, oh did I say rich and simply amazing!
They ended up being so rich and delicious that they couldn’t stay at my house, so I packaged them up in jars tied with twine and gave them as sweet homemade gifts. I mean after all – jars are the only way to give handmade gifts these days aren’t they?
- (2) 12 ounce bags of Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua (I used my homemade Kahlua recipe)
- Sprinkles or Chocolate Jimmies
- In a double boiler over simmering water melt one 12 oz bag of chocolate, butter and heavy cream together. Once melted remove from heat and stir in vanilla
- Pour into a shallow casserole dish and allow to cool at room temperature for thirty minutes or until cool.
- While chocolate is cooling chop 1/4 cup of baking chips. Then stir Kahlua and chopped baking chips into the cooled chocolate.
- Cover and allow to set in the fridge for an hour and a half to two hours. **If it is in the refrigerator longer than that it will be to hard to form into balls. If the chocolate is too hard allow to sit on the counter at room temperature until you can easily scoop it.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop out balls of chocolate and use your hand to form them into perfect balls. Roll them in sprinkles and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until ready to serve or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
My homemade Kahlua recipe passed down from my parents.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 22mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g