Around here I am all about a semi-homemade meal. Schedules are hectic, kids run around crazy, and I just don’t have time to be in the kitchen all day long. Yesterday I was craving comfort food – I turned to my stack of recipes and picked out Dad’s Chicken Pot Pie. By ‘dad’ I mean my own dad. He loves to take recipes and tweak them to be his own. He really gets an A+ for this one! The best thing about this meal is that there really is no need for a side dish, and everyone asks for seconds.
You can get the printable recipe HERE or follow along below.
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 large potato – peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sliced celerty
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans of chicken broth
- 2/3 cup of milk
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts – 9 in.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a saucepan combine chicken, carrots, peas, potato, and celery. Add 1 can of chicken broth.
Fill with water to cover. Bring to a boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- In another saucepan over medium heat cook onions in the butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt,
pepper, garlic powder, and celery seed. Slowly stir in the other can of chicken broth and milk.
Simmer over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and add cream of chicken soup.
- Mix the chicken mixture with the sauce to create the filling.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom of the pie dish and then add filling. Then cover with the other
pie crust, seal edges, and trim any excess. Make slits in the top of the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes
Absolutely delicious – stick to your sides – filling comfort food! Thanks dad!!
Printable recipe is HERE.
Wednesday 1st of June 2016
I've amended this recipe slightly, to make about 6 small pies... I have made the original before hand of course, and it's amazing! Tastes just like my mum's, and takes me back to childhood. Would recommend this recipe, everyone in the family loves it! :D
Monday 16th of March 2015
This was delicious! Ive made it 4 times already and everyone always wants moree