Mother’s Day is coming up quickly – have you thought about what you will give your mom? I love receiving simple handmade gifts from my kids on Mother’s Day. This year we are making handprint tea towels for my mom and Mike’s mom.
For my first Mother’s Day my husband made a garden rock with his and our son’s handprint and painted Happy Mother’s Day across it. So simple yet I still have the rock and cherish it. I know the grandmas will cherish these handprint tea towels just as much.
Hand Print Tea Towel Supplies
- Acrylic Paints
- Fabric Medium for Paint
- Flour Sack Tea Towels
- Popsicle stick (or something to mix the fabric medium and paint together)
- Piece of Cardboard
- Home Iron
Mother’s Day Handprint Tea Towel Directions:
- To make your handprint tea towels start by unfolding the tea towel and putting a piece of stiff cardboard underneath to eliminate the chance of paint soaking through.
- Then mix the paint you want to use for the flowers with the fabric medium. (The medium keeps the paint from being stiff once dried). **My kids get overly excited about getting paint on their hands so I mixed our paint colors on separate paper plates and kept it out of reach until it was time for each child do their handprint. Do the handprints one kid at a time helping out where needed based on their ages.
- Once the handprints are finished paint on the flower stems and names with a paintbrush.
- Allow paint to dry for 24 hours then using an iron on the highest heat setting with no steam set the paint so the towels are laundry safe. I put my towel painted side up with another crappy towel I had over the top so I didn’t melt the paint onto my iron. Hold the iron with firm pressure over a painted area for 10 seconds and continue until you have set all painted areas.
Saturday 16th of March 2019
How did this hold up in the wash?
Tuesday 19th of March 2019
Great! We made them a few years ago and both sets of grandmas still have and use theirs.
Sunday 2nd of July 2017
Love Brings Us Together Tea Towels Set Of 2
[...] ’s handprint and painted Happy Mother’s Day across it. So simple yet I still [...]
16 Handmade Mother's Day Gifts from Kids - Fun Handprint Art
Monday 3rd of April 2017
[…] Handprint Tea Towels | Poofy Cheeks – This turned out so […]
Kristen @ Ladybug Blessings
Tuesday 6th of May 2014
Love this! Super cute! I am featuring it on my last minute mother's day gift ideas on Friday :)
Friday 9th of May 2014
Thank you so much Kristen! Can't wait to check it out!