Chalkboard is all the rage. I thought it was hot a few years ago, but it just keeps popping up again and again. I am not complaining because I LOVE the chalkboard trend! Since we host Easter at our house every year I wanted to do something to spruce up the place settings. What better way to tell your guests where to sit than to write their initial on a chalkboard Easter egg?
Chalkboard Easter Egg Supplies
For these place setting eggs you will need:
- chalkboard spray paint
- paper mache eggs
- round wooden discs
- acrylic paint in your choice of color
- glue gun
- wooden skewers (optional)
Chalkboard Easter Egg Directions
- The first thing I did was stick a wooden skewer in the bottom of each egg to make them easier to paint. Some wooden skewers went right through the paper mache and others took more effort. I used the sharp end of a wine bottle opener to puncture through and then put the skewer in. Then I stuck the skewers in the ground outside and went to town with a bottle of chalkboard spray paint. I pulled them out and held the end of the skewer while rotating to get the bottom of the eggs.
- While the eggs were drying I painted the small round wooden discs with a metallic green acrylic paint. I had to put on a few coats but it the good thing is that both paints dry quickly.
- Once the eggs were completely dry I took a piece of chalk and seasoned the eggs. Seasoning over chalkboard paint is when you cover the entire thing in chalk and then wipe it off. This process makes it easier for the chalk to stick in the future.
- I then took a dab of hot glue and put it in the center of the wooden disc and then placed the egg centered on top. Once the glue dried I doodled the first letter of our family’s names on the eggs.
You could always just paint the eggs and doodle on them for decoration or string them to make a chalkboard egg garland too! There are so many possibilities with these little guys.
Friday 15th of March 2013
Great idea, inspired me to do these but instead of paint I did mod podge and funky glitter!!
Wednesday 13th of March 2013
Omg.. what a fantastic idea :) looove it. Pinning!