I’m sharing the most adorable DIY glitter unicorn ornament DIYs today. These ornaments turned out so damn cute I want to make them for every little magical unicorn loving girl I know.
I started with glass iridescent ornaments for a few unicorn ornaments and regular glass ornaments for a few too. The iridescent glass definitly lent itself to the unicorn theme. I scored both ornaments at Hobby Lobby.
Glitter Unicorn Ornament Supplies
- Glass ornaments
- Adhesive Vinyl
- Transfer Tape
- Cutting Machine (Cricut or Silhouette)
- Free Christmas Ornament Faces cut file
- Uncorn Horn
- Assorted Ribbons
How to Glitter the Inside of an Ornament:
In order to add glitter to the inside of ornaments you need to remove the top and coat the inside of the ornament with polycrylic. Polycrylic is water based and dries clear. After using a pipette to add polycrylic keep spinning the ornament all around to coat the entire inside of the ornament.
Hold the ornament upside down over a cup or the can of polycrylic to pour out any excess. A thin coat is all you need.
To get the glitter inside of the ornament use a funnel or make one with paper by rolling it up. Roll and tap the ornament around until the entire ornament is glittered. Again, pour the excess glitter out. Let the ornament dry before you put the top back on.
Adding Unicorn Embellishments to an Ornament
To embellish your glittered ornament into a unicorn ornament cut different colored and textured ribbons into 10-12 inch pieces and knot them in the middle. Use a hot glue gun to attach the ribbon to the center of the ornament topper.
Use hot glue (or better yet use E6000) to attach the unicorn horn onto the ornament.
Add eyes using adhesive vinyl, transfer tape and the free ornament faces cut file. Tada… you have a magical glittered unicorn ornament to hang on the tree or gift.
I let the kids make their own unicorns and Delilah did an amazing job picking some extra embellishments from my craft stash.
- Cricut or Silhouette Machine
- Hot Glue Gun
- Remove the top of the ornament and use a pipette to add polycrylic to the ornament. Spin it around until the entire inside of the ornament is coated. Pour out excess.
- Roll up a piece of paper as a funnel and use it to pour glitter into the ornament. Roll the glitter around inside the ornament until the entire ornament is coated. Pour out excess.
- Gently replae the ornament topper.
- Cut multiple pieces of ribbon at 10-12 inches and then knot in the middle. Use a hot glue gun to glue the knotted part of the ribbons onto the ornament.
- Use hot glue or E6000 to glue on the unicorn horn to the top of the ornament.
- Using the free faces cut file, cut unicorn eyes from adhesive vinyl. Apply them to the ornament using transfer tape (right below the horn).
- Add another peice of ribbon to hang the ornament.