If you ever make one of my recipes make it THIS ONE! Known as Involtini di Pollo, this bacon stuffed chicken with marsala cream sauce will knock your socks off. It is a family favorite.
Nothing compares to the flavor in the marsala cream sauce over the chicken and penne noodles. If you are having company that you want to impress, make this meal. In a hurry? Skip the chicken and go meatless. This sauce shines all on its own.
This recipe was one that my parents perfected after having the same dish at a local Italian restaurant. We have each made a few changes to the original recipe and this is my version of the Involtini di Pollo.
Bacon Stuffed Chicken Ingredients
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved, pounded thin
- 8 slices of bacon (works best if it is not thick cut)
- garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
Marsala Cream Sauce Ingredients
- 2 shallots, minced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups marsala cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of marinara sauce (I’m a fan of RAOs)
- 16 oz box of penne
Other Supplies for this Recipe
How to Prepare the Bacon Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Start out by cutting the chicken breasts in half and laying them out on a cutting board. I like to lay them out on a sheet of parchment paper and top with another sheet before I flatten them using a meat mallet.
- After the chicken breasts are flattened season both sides with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then lay a piece of bacon on the top of each chicken breast piece, roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- In a large saute pan heat the olive oil on medium/high heat and then add the chicken breasts, browning on all sides. I personally do this step in two batches so I don’t overcrowd the pan. When all the chicken breasts are brown (they won’t be cooked through) I add all of them back to the pan along with any juices.
- Turn to low heat, add the water and simmer covered for 20 minutes to cook the chicken through.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and keep warm. Reserve any juices in a bowl to use later.
How to Prepare the Marsala Cream Sauce and Penne
- Before you start the marsala cream sauce start boiling the water for the penne (cook noodles per the package instructions).
- In the same pan you cooked the chicken in, add 3 tablespoons of butter and shallots on medium heat. Once the butter has melted cover on low for 5 minutes.
- Add marsala wine and thyme and turn to high heat until the marsala reduces until only about 2 tablespoons of liquid remain. After that add the cream and reduce by half. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and whisk until mixed.
- The last step is to season with salt and pepper and then stir in the reserved chicken juices, parmesan and marinara.
How to Serve the Bacon Stuffed Chicken and Marsala Cream Sauce
We serve the bacon-stuffed chicken over a bed of penne noodles and then top with the marsala cream sauce. You can also cut the chicken into smaller pieces and mix the sauce and chicken but the presentation isn’t as stunning.