I am sharing a few DIY Christmas gifts involving dollar store items. This year our budget is a little tighter than years past, and I know many others feel the same. This Infused Olive Oil recipe goes perfectly in a $1 bottle from Dollar Tree.
Infused olive oil would make a great gift for co-workers, neighbors and friends. You could pair a bottle of the infused herb olive oil with a loaf of bread wrapped in a hand towel and secured with ribbon. A lovely gift for under $10!
Supplies Needed to Make Infused Olive Oil
To make infused olive oil you need three main items; olive oil, dry herbs and a glass jar or bottle. You will also need a pot to warm the olive oil in, a thermometer and a funnel or glass to get the oil and spices into the container.
*We are using dry herbs instead of fresh so that we don’t have to worry about any bacteria. The dry herb and oil mixture has a longer shelf life too. Once the bottles are filled they last around 3 months in a dark cabinet or refrigerator.
Infused Olive Oil Label
I whipped up some free labels you can use for your oil. The download includes a PDF that you can print and cut with scissors. Scroll to the bottom of this post and enter your name and email so the PDF will download instantly.
If you print the labels out onto a full sheet of shipping label paper you have an instant sticker label.
*Be sure to wipe the bottle very well before applying the label so oil doesn’t stain or soak into the label.
Why Do You Heat the Olive Oil?
Heating the olive oil helps infuse the herb flavor into every drip. I used a candy thermometer to make sure it was 180 degrees before removing it and combining with the herb mixture.
Cost to make…
- I found the glass bottles at my local Dollar Tree for $1 and knew I could fill them with oils, drinks and more
- I got the olive oil from Walmart for about $5.50 and had 1/3 or more left.
- The spice blend was a few bucks and I used 1/4 of it.
I would estimate the total cost to be about $5-6 each since I still have enough olive oil and spices to make more. I have seen these retail for upwards of $15 at specialty stores, so win in my book!
- Olive Oil,, extra virgin
- Dry Herb Mixture, of your choice
- Funnel dry herb mixture into glass container.
- Warm olive oil in a medium pot using a thermometer. Once the temperature reaches 180 degrees farenheit, remove and funnel into the glass container with herb mixture.
- Allow container to cool to room temperature before putting the lid on and adding desired label.
*Store in a dark cabinet or refrigerator.
*If storing in the refrigerator, set out 15-20 minutes before using.
*Shelf life of three months.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Free Printable Label
As always – don’t forget to share a picture of your infused olive oil with us on Instagram @poofycheeksblog!