This week is all about one thing – BACON! A few months ago we had planned to go to a bacon festival with my sister-in-law and niece but during the first day of the festival it received horrible reviews on their facbook page and people were complaining that they had run out of food halfway through the day. We didn’t want to waste our money if we weren’t going to get any of the glorious greasy bacon so we decided to have our own bacon-fest! We headed to the store with our lists and came back with 6 pounds of bacon and enough to make sweet, salty and savory bacon concoctions. Luckily we had some hungry friends who came over to help us eat everything! One of the things I came up with was a twist on saltine cracker toffee. I made bacon cracker toffee and it was the perfect balance of sweet with a hint of savory. No need to host a bacon-fest just as an excuse to make this toffee! It would be a hit at any gathering or barbeque! Bacon Cracker Toffee Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 sleeves saltine crackers
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 pound of bacon, cook and crumbled
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lay crackers out in rows across the entire bottom of the cookie sheet.
- In a saucepan combine sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and cook for three minutes – then immediately pour over the crackers and use a spatula to spread it evenly.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes, remove and sprinkle chocolate chips and bacon over the top. As the chocolate melts use a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly across the toffee
- Place the pan of toffee in the refrigerator to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, break into uneven pieces by hand, and eat!
Check out the Poofy Cheeks Blog Pinterest Board for other craft and recipe ideas! Follow Poofy Cheeks’s board Poofy Cheeks Blog on Pinterest.