- Heart shaped paper mache box
- Marquee lights (Hobby Lobby had them in the embellishment isle near the chipboard)
- Scrapbook paper
- Mod Podge
- Exacto Knife
- Hot glue gun
I consider items like paint and scrapbook paper to be a crafter’s ‘pantry items’ because we usually always have them on hand. Ya’ know kinda like flour and sugar are to a baker. I consider items like hot glue guns, exacto knives and scissors to be common utensils – just as mixers and spatulas are to a baker. Needless to say I had everything but the heart shaped box and marquee lights in my stash. After I used my 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon on the marquee lights (Regular price was $7.99) I paid $8. If you needed to buy paint and scrapbook paper you could still easily pay around $10.
Here is how I made the light-
- I flipped the lid of the box around and embellished the inside of it. I painted the outside and inside edge of the lid with gold paint. Then I painted the outside of the box with aqua blue paint. For the inside of the lid I mod podged a piece of scrapbook paper into it.
- I used a pencil to mark the lid with where I would make my cuts for the lights. (Make your marks on what would be the top of the lid which you did not paint or embellish.) Then I used an exacto knife to cut a small ‘x’ then twisted until the hole was big enough for the marquee light to fit through.
- Then I planned out how I would put my string of lights and where it would end. Once the small part of the lights were through I gently added the marquee bulb fitting over them.
- Using the exacto knife I also cut a whole in the bottom of the heart box to fit the battery pack/switch for the lights through.
- For the final step use a hot glue gun to glue the lid upside down onto the top of the box so your lights and embellished side are facing out.
I am in love with how the light turned out and now that I know about the handy kits at Hobby Lobby I see more marquee lights and letters in my future! The heart looks perfect on my faux mantle adding a bit of love to the winter feel it has going on.
Valentine's Day Decor On a Budget + Free Printables | Arts and Classy
Tuesday 26th of November 2019
[…] Source + Photo Credit: Poofy Cheeks […]
DIY inspiratie Valentijnsdag - Mamaliefde
Tuesday 19th of December 2017
[…] Verlicht hartjesvormige bakvorm […]
Superstar Home Decor: 12 DIY Marquee Lights - DIY CHICKS
Sunday 15th of October 2017
[…] handmade marquee light the shape of a heart you’ve basically won the lottery! Use this light by Poofy Cheeks on the special occasions when you need to create a magical ambiance at home – a date night, an […]
Wednesday 4th of February 2015
Fantastic idea - I absolutely love this - easily doable (after you showed how!), and you get decor which can be used all year round! I would never have thought to use the lid for the lights. Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!
Saturday 17th of January 2015
This is a real inspiration - I just may have to do this! Love it.