Oh Sugared Pecans – how your scent wraps me up and pulls me in! You know what I am talking about – you are at a carnival or a theme park and then it hits you – the sweet aroma of sugared roasted nuts. Whether it be almonds or pecans they have me from first sniff! Sugared pecans are a staple at our house during the holidays. Family members come over they spy them and well pretty soon the jar is gone! They are impossible to walk away from. Usually we make a double or triple batch so we can hand them out to family and friends but this year I was swamped with Christmas orders right up until the Friday before Christmas so I only made a single batch to keep here at the house. When my mom came over and saw the jar she gave me the eye and asked why I had been hiding them. She told my dad but I informed her he had already been sneaking into them while he was here helping me with orders earlier in the week. Even though dinner was in the oven she cracked the lid and couldn’t put them down! Ingredients:
- 1 lb. pecan halves
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- *parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg white, vanilla and rum extract. Add pecans and toss to coat.
- In an airtight container (or large ziploc) mix sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour pecans into the sugar mixture and shake until all the pecans are coated in the sugar mixture.
- Evenly spread pecans across a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake for a total of one hour – tossing every 15 minutes.