- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 (8 ounce) bottles of clam juice
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans of chopped clams in clam juice
- 2.8 ounce package of real bacon bits
- 2 stalks celery , minced
- 1.5 pounds red potatoes - peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2-4 tablespoons flour (the more you add the thicker your chowder)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups heavy cream
In a large pot melt butter and then add in bacon bits, onion, celery, garlic and half of the potatoes. Cook until onions are translucent stirring occasionally.
Stir in flour.
Slowly add clam juice, bay leaf, thyme and remaining half of potatoes into the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes until all potatoes are tender.
Turn heat to a simmer and remove the bay leaf. Add in chopped clams and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to desired taste.
Once soup is heated to the desired temperature and starts to thicken a bit remove from heat and serve.