Let’s talk comfort food for a sec! Mac-n-cheese and broccoli cheddar soup rank high on my list but one of my very favorite comfort foods is Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole. This casserole recipe is one that my mom made growing up and still makes for holidays and family gatherings. When I’m craving comfort I make this as a side dish with dinner or add ham to make it the main dish. I have even made it as a breakfast casserole by adding bacon and sausage!
The recipe is super simple to make and is well worth the time! (It bakes for 1.5 hours in the oven)
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe – Yields 6-8 servings – Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- (1) 2lb bag frozen hashbrowns (shredded or cubed)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup of sour cream
- (1) 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 /2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- One to two hours prior to cooking remove hashbrowns from the freezer and thaw on the counter. **You could also place them in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours prior to cooking. They may still be a bit frozen which is okay.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter and add diced onions. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes until onions start to appear translucent.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and stir in sour cream, cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper. Stir constantly for three minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese – stir until cheese is melted.
- In a large bowl mix together hashbrowns and cheese mixture. Pour into greased casserole dish and cover with foil.
- Cook potatoes covered for one hour – remove from oven after 30 minutes to stir. After one hour stir again, remove foil and cook uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
My mom prefers to use the cubed hashbrowns and I prefer the shredded but no matter which ones you use the casserole turns out cheesy and delicious. My favorite thing about the hashbrown casserole is how versatile it is – add ham and make it into a main dish or add sausage and bacon bits for a yummy breakfast!
I party HERE
Check out the Poofy Cheeks Blog Pinterest Board for other craft and recipe ideas! Follow Poofy Cheeks’s board Poofy Cheeks Blog on Pinterest.