Every year for my dad’s birthday he requests homemade German Chocolate Cake but this year he had a knee replacement a few days before his birthday and was in no shape to enjoy his favorite dessert. A few weeks after his birthday when he started feeling better I put a twist on his favorite cake and took it over for dessert one night. Instead of a homemade cake I used a box cake mix and combined it with omemade Coconut Pecan Frosting to create the most amazing German Chocolate Cake Balls! The cake balls were moist, delicious and addicting. The recipe made around 30 cake balls so there were plenty to enjoy that night and a few nights after! The full recipe is at the bottom of the post but here is what I did – I bought a German Chocolate cake mix from the store and made it according to the directions on the box. Once the cake was finished I allowed it to cool. I cut around the edges of the pan as you see below and put the middle part of the cake into a large bowl. While the cake was cooking I mixed up the frosting and also allowed it to cool.
- German Chocolate Cake Mix (and ingredients called for on the box – oil, water, eggs)
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
- 3/4 cups chopped pecans
- Bake cake in a 9×13 pan according to the directions on the box. Once baked allow to cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat mix evaporated milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla. Cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and mix in coconut and pecans. Allow to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool cut around the edges of the pan and put the middle of the cake into a large bowl. Pour the frosting over the cake and mix.
- Refrigerate the cake mixture for about an hour and then use a spoon or ice cream scoop to scoop out the cake and roll into cake balls.
- Store the cake balls in an air tight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. These will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days in an air tight container.
I party HERE